myrtle.

by charlotte guest

Today I was handed the obituaries in class. I took this as a bad sign.

We were using the newspaper for a linguistics exercise, and I got death. The girl next to me had a headline about incest. I was surrounded by death and Deliverance*. I took this as an intensely bad sign.


Bad signs are everywhere. People tell me it's just because I look for them, but I don't, they're there. Take, for example, the fact that every day, no matter where I go, I have to drive straight through a graveyard. Every day. A graveyard.

I started sweating in my linguistics class. The girl with the incest headline seemed to suspect I have a phobia of mono-morphemic words.

Then a coldness came over me as I had a particularly horrific thought: what if I recognise a name?

I scanned, feverishly, simultaneously compiling a mental list of the most likely acquaintances to have died in the last week. I work with elderly people.

But no one had died. I only felt a weak connection to one of the names, a Myrtle something or other. I never knew Myrtle, but I felt that I could visualise her. She was a lot like my grandma, she had the same transvestite-type glasses. I superimposed her onto old memories: there she was making me “soggy toast” (butter soaked toast, little slices of cholesterol), her poky unit brimming with papers and jewellery, the radio sounding like someone walking on bubble-wrap. I was the saddest I had ever been in a linguistics class.

So I've decided to reincarnate her, or at least my Myrtle, in my future international best seller. And when I do so, the dedication will read: In fond and fictitious memory of Myrtle.



* see: Deliverance, 1972; starring: token inbred banjo boy.






related posts.

the boab tree by charlotte guest

ripe for the picking by colleen yo