the way we were.

by kimberley veart 

You can feel distance in the delays on a telephone call. In the resounding, echoing quiet. If you count the seconds you can count the miles. 

To fill the void, you talk and I talk. We are drowning each other out, words descending into white noise. 

We are forced to abandon this futile attempt at communication.

"Can you hear me?"


"Can you see me?"

We ask our computer screens with only our fuzzily frantic video reflection staring back at us in reply. Skype says that our connection has failed.  No kidding. 

I live three days in one, calculating the time zones. Never has mathematics had such a practical application in my life, except perhaps to keep track of exactly how many paydays it will be before I can afford an airfare.  

We cross the days off our calendars and create ever more optimistic countdowns. For somewhere on the horizon, endlessly drifting off into the distance is the reunion.

We've become excellent imaginary planners, detailing hypothetical scenarios and hoping they will eventually become our reality.

While we wait we live in the memories, tracing familiar paths and going over old jokes as the time between then and now stretches out.  

I miss the way our voices mix together, the harmonies and the laughter.

I miss being on the same page, same wavelength, same continent as you.

Let's just be together again.

Soon. Okay?




related posts.

somebody that i used to know by kimberley veart

chasing ghosts by kimberley veart