sneakers vs sex tapes.

by claudia lewin

I have always been a very self-conscious person, always felt awkward in my own skin. It is only recently that I have acknowledged my intense respect for people who seem to lack this sort of self-doubt, and allowed this to inspire me to calm down a little.

Two very different people have done this for me. Neither of them are famous, and neither of them are aware that they have done a thing.

The first is a quiet but brilliant girl who studies with me at university, and proudly wears her love affair with medievalism on her (flared) sleeve. Not only does she dress in medieval clothing at weekend events, but she performs in a band with others who enjoy the same kind of thing. Because she is not concerned about it, no one around her is either. She walks past other students with buttocks hanging out of $200 shorts without batting an eyelid, intent on reading about the symbolism of numbers in Spencer’s Epithalamion.

And do you know what? She owns it.
Noelene is 85 years old, and wears running shoes with her floral dresses to the gym. She comes to my work every week to enjoy an omelette and extra weak flat white for $9.90. Nolleen needs the carbs and protein because she is off to her regular boxing session. The other day she took a ride on a Harley Davidson, a treat that a young girl from her gym organized for her.

I don’t think role models should be chosen because of what they wear,or whether their sex tape was shot on a higher-quality camera than KimKardashian’s. Usually, the best role models haven’t even made a sex tape.
But who knows what Noelene did in the sixties.




related posts.

bette davis eyes by kimberley veart

leaving the windows open by blaze edwards