hanging by a moment.

by kimberley veart

“I don’t want life to imitate art; I want life to be art.” - Carrie Fisher
My mission, my goal in life is to experience a musical moment. By this I mean a moment where the crowds burst into joyous, perfectly choreographed dancing that looks absolutely spontaneous and people start belting out notes like Mariah Carey.

Why can’t life be like a musical?
I often imagine scenes in my head as I go about my day. Suddenly on the train, I am seized with the almost uncontrollable urge to cartwheel down the aisle and end with a jazz hand flourish while the other passengers sing “You Make My Dreams”. Then I remember that I can’t actually cartwheel and if you’re going to attempt it in a skirt you really need a fifties one to pull it off (the crucial factor being the over –the-knee length).

Or, I’m at university and people are sitting in the sun having lunch. I want to gracefully descend the stairs and glide onto the grass in front of them singing the soft beginnings of a feel good ballad. All of a sudden the quirky looking guy in the polo-shirt stands up and joins in with a perfect tenor. The girl with the red hair grabs the arms of her friends and they sway in time to the harmony. Soon, the whole crowd has erupted into song which ends with an earth-shattering crescendo and a memorable finish. It goes quiet, and everyone shrugs happily and returns to what they were doing.
Instead, people are just wandering, eating, chatting and laughing just as usual. But in my head, the hills are well and truly alive.
As you can tell, my grip on reality is at times rather tenuous.



related posts.

optimists anonymous by kimberley veart

chasing ghosts by kimberley veart